Becoming a mentor
Thriving Elements is a high quality mentoring program whose mission is to create access and opportunities for students in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
We're looking for passionate STEM professionals with interest of becoming a long-term mentor for a high school student.
The vision is to develop and empower leaders in STEM to make a sustainable impact in their communities and inspire the next generation. If this resonates with you, we highly encourage you to apply.
Meet 1 hour
Meet 1 hour every
Meet 1 hour
At the mentor’s
and mentee’s discretion
The recruitment process consists of 4 steps
Application: Submit an online application here, read some tips below.
Interview: A conversation with two Thriving Elements team members – looking for your motivation, long-term commitment and STEM experience so we can ensure a good mentee match.
Speed Networking: Talking to a few potential mentee and rating your compatibility with them.
Mentee-Mentor Matching: Using our matching algorithm in combination with the mentor and mentee compatibility ratings and feedback, Thriving Elements will make sure it’s the most compatible mentee-mentor matc
Mentoring has been a very rewarding experience. Seeing her excitement and curiosity about technology has fueled my own desire to learn more. It has been a great way to honor my own mentor and help the next generation of smart, capable women in STEM.
becoming a mentor
expectations of mentors
- STEM undergraduate degree preferred or STEM related experience (2+ years)
- Mentor experience preferred but not required
- Fill out application and undergo interview process
what we expect from mentors
- Passionate about elevating young girls in STEM
- Guide your mentee through Thriving Elements mentoring curriculum which includes but not limited to:
- Introduction to Thriving Elements
- Quality Traits of Leaders
- Leaders Giving Back to the Community
- Importance of Goal Setting & Planning Part I
- Importance of Goal Setting & Planning Part II
- Importance of Taking Risks, Failures & Perseverance
- Social Media Awareness
- Why Women Matter in STEM
- Maintain regular contact in order to develop the relationship
- Set up expectations for how and when you’ll contact each other
- Be open minded, professional, and respectful
- Be a trusteed advisor to mentees
- Respond to mentees in a timely manner
- Maintain mentor relationship from high-school through college
what we don't expect from mentors
- To know all the answers to the mentees questions. You’ll have a network of mentors to help
- Offer a job or an internship to your mentees
mentor application tips
sample application quesions
Why would you like to be a STEM mentor?
- Thriving Elements is a long term 1:1 mentoring program where mentors work with students from their high school years through college or university and into the early parts of their professional career. We are looking for how dedicated and passionate you are about about getting students interested in STEM fields. We want to learn about your story, and the breadth and depth of your STEM experience.
How much mentoring experience do you have?
- We want to learn about your past experience as a mentor — or a mentee. It’s okay if you haven’t formally had any kind of mentoring relationship. We provide mentor training when you start but would like to get an understanding of your past experience so we can match you with the most suitable mentee.
What are your strengths that you can bring to Thriving Elements as a mentor?
- Whether you have experience from multiple STEM fields, would like to pass down your learnings, are multilingual, or have previous relevant volunteer experience, we are interested in learning what you bring into the program.