BECOME A MENTEE
“Thriving Elements has provided me with such tremendous opportunities and it’s especially nice knowing that I have someone to reach out to whenever I’m in need of support. I’m extremely grateful to be a part of a program like Thriving Elements. I’ve learned that mentors don’t necessarily have to be stern and businesslike, but you’ll eventually begin making personal bonds and connections with them.”
– Mentee Nancy Garcia
BENEFITS OF BEING A MENTEE*
Gain a valuable new perspective. Mentors will challenge you to think in different ways and provide insight into what it takes to get ahead. They may act as a “sounding board” for your ideas and will even help you to decide on the best course of action in difficult situations.
Build your network. Mentors can offer the unique opportunity of expanding your existing network of personal and professional contacts. Plus you’ll have the opportunity to attend leadership buildling events as part of the program.
Develop your knowledge and skill set. Mentors can help you to identify your strengths and sharpen your communication skills. They will help you to avoid “reinventing the wheel” by teaching you where to go for information, as well as the tools, expertise and shortcuts needed to work more efficiently and effectively.
Advance your career. Mentors champion for your success by helping you to stay focused and on-track in your career through advice, skills development, networking and so on.
* Source: mindtools.com https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newCDV_72.htm
EXPECTATIONS OF A MENTEE
- Currently enrolled as a 8th-11th grade student
- Have a high interest in pursuing a STEM related field
- Demonstrate a need for this program
- Complete the application and undergo the interview process
- Maintain regular contact with your mentor and develop a relationship
- Meet with your mentor for a minimum of 1 hour each month during your first year enrolled in the program
- Meetings may occur in person, in a public setting or via video conferencing
- Respond in a timely manner
- Take responsibility for your own educational career and professional development
- Be proactive and engaged in the access and opportunities Thriving Elements provides
- Read through the curriculum outline and come prepared to each session
- Take advantage of the resources provided to you
- Follow through on commitments
- Be open minded, professional, and respectful
- To know everything there is know about STEM
- To know exactly what area of STEM you’re interested in
- Maintain a mentoring relationship with a mentor that’s not working out
APPLICATION AND INTERVIEW PREP
- Thriving Elements is excited to meet you. As a first step, please fill out the applictation here
- If you’re selected for a video interview, we will inform you via email at the email address you provided in your application. You will receive an calendar invite for the interview, which will show on our calendar. All interviews are conducted via Google Hangouts.
- Before the interview, please take the time to learn how Google Hangouts works and make sure you are ready to go. If you don’t have access to a computer or device, please email us right away at email@example.com and we will work with you to figure out how to conduct the interview.
- Treat this like any other job interview. Make sure you’re responding in a professional manner. Prepare questions to demonstrate your curiosity. Familiarize yourself with the Thriving Elements mentoring program by reading through our website and use this as an additional resource on how to best prepare.