Becoming a mentee
Thriving Elements is a high quality mentoring program whose mission is to create access and opportunities for students in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
Upon selection into the program, you are matched with a STEM professional who will help prepare you for college and a professional career in STEM. Once you become a member of the TE (Thriving Elements) community, you can expect quarterly leadership events where mentors and mentees from all locations get together to participate in mentoring and teambuilding activities.
The vision is to develop and empower leaders in STEM to make a sustainable impact in their communities and inspire the next generation. If this resonates with you, we highly encourage you to apply.
The recruitment process consists of 4 steps: application, interview, speed networking, and mentee-mentor matching.
- Application: Applications for STEM mentoring in 2023/24 are now closed, applications for 2024/25 will be open again in Fall 2023. Submit your email here to not miss any updates.
- Interview: Read some tips below
- Speed Networking: You get a chance to talk to a few potential mentors
- Mentee-Mentor Matching: We always try to find the best mentee-mentor match based on your compatibilities
Thriving Elements has provided me with such tremendous opportunities and it’s especially nice knowing that I have someone to reach out to whenever I’m in need of support. I’m extremely grateful to be a part of a program like Thriving Elements. I’ve learned that mentors don’t necessarily have to be stern and businesslike, but you’ll eventually begin making personal bonds and connections with them.
becoming a mentee
expectations of mentees
- Currently enrolled as a 8th-11th grade student
- Have a high interest in pursuing a STEM related field
- Demonstrate a need for this program
- Complete the application and undergo the interview process
what we expect from mentees
- Maintain regular contact with your mentor and develop a relationship
- Meet with your mentor (in person/virtual) for a minimum of 1 hour each month during your first year enrolled in the program
- Respond in a timely manner
- Take responsibility for your own educational career and professional development
- Be proactive and engaged in the access and opportunities Thriving Elements provides
- Read through the curriculum outline and come prepared to each session
- Take advantage of the resources provided to you
- Follow through on commitments
- Be open minded, professional, and respectful
what we don't expect from mentees
- To know everything there is know about STEM
- To know exactly what area of STEM you’re interested in
- Maintain a mentoring relationship with a mentor that’s not working out
becoming a mentee
application and interview prep
- Thriving Elements is excited to meet you!
- As a first step, please fill out the respective application
preparing for the interview
- If you’re selected for a video interview, we will inform you via email at the email address you provided in your application
- You will receive a calendar invite for the interview, which will show on our calendar. All interviews are conducted via Google Hangouts
- Before the interview, please take the time to learn how Google Meet works and make sure you are ready to go. If you don’t have access to a computer or device, please email us right away at email@example.com and we will work with you to figure out how to conduct the interview
what to expect from the interview
- Treat this like any other job interview
- Make sure you’re responding in a professional manner
- Prepare questions to demonstrate your curiosity
- Familiarize yourself with the Thriving Elements mentoring program by reading through our website and use this as an additional resource on how to best prepare